[extropy-chat] Timeshifting

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Feb 26 21:12:52 UTC 2004

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 02:53:10PM -0500, Brian Lee wrote:

> Ever since I installed my ReplayTV I've been observing the positive effects

Ever since I stopped watching the bo0b tube I've been observing how
remarkably biased and vacuous the average TV program is. I've thus time-shifted
the program to infinity, and it increased the quality of life a lot. As a
side effect, cinema has become a lot more impressive. Wow.

I'm wondering whether the Internet is next. Too many people have realized
that it's not worth their time. Is anyone even reading this mail? Hello?

> of time shifting. Activities that used to take an hour now take 30 minutes.

I wish I could buy daily 30 min of highly personalized video fit to watch.
Unfortunately, no one is selling a service like this. No doubt the market is
infinitesimal. It would be worthwhile to rip digitized TV and peer-review it,
but I don't want to pay the state TV tax, nor become a criminal by illegally
recording, and thus becoming vulnerable to the fee collection racket.

> It feels like a type of time travel and reminds me of taking taxis in new
> york.
>
> When I was living in new york I had a time/distance perception of my
> travel. It would take about 30 minutes to take the subway from grand
> central to wall street. This would vary by a few minutes but generally 30
> minutes. Taking a cab only took about 10 minutes so I had 20 free minutes.

After the public transportation in my current home city deteriorated
sufficiently so that the daily commute became a major aggravation, I reluctantly took to
the car.

The commute time has shrunk to less than half, but I no longer can read on
the road. Having not to watch random other people, vandalized interiors and
escaping the winter sniffle season is a tolerable tradeoff for that.