[extropy-chat] Timeshifting

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Thu Feb 26 21:35:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> Is anyone even reading this mail? Hello?

Don't worry Eugen, I'll tend to read your emails.  I'll even read segments
of THT when I can get to it (though I tend to try to discriminate based
on my interests).

> The commute time has shrunk to less than half, but I no longer can read on
> the road. Having not to watch random other people, vandalized interiors and
> escaping the winter sniffle season is a tolerable tradeoff for that.

That is part of the basis of my point.  Timeshifting in a car (safely) requires
a greater amount of mental attention as to when one pays attention to the tape,
video, etc. and when one pays attention to the external environment.  We obviously
have technologies on the drawing board to eliminate the need to deal with the
external environment.  In fact the recent attack of an air traffic controller
in SW/DE was due to the fact that an air traffic controller instructed a bypass
of the automated avoidance systems that resulted in an in flight collision.
(I.e. the automated systems were safer than those that resulted from human
intervention.)

One has to trade-off "education time" vs. "safety risks".  Not easy IMO.

Robert