[extropy-chat] ex-tropical

Kevin Freels kevinfreels at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 25 15:54:42 UTC 2004

Just some off the cuff remarks about this article. None of it surprises or
worries me.

> · Future wars will be fought over the issue of survival rather than
> religion, ideology or national honour.

Is this a bad thing?

> · Between 2010 and 2020 Europe is hardest hit by climatic change with an
> average annual temperature drop of 6F. Climate in Britain becomes colder
and
> drier as weather patterns begin to resemble Siberia.

Is this from global warming?

> · Deaths from war and famine run into the millions until the planet's
> population is reduced by such an extent the Earth can cope.

Hopefully they are all religious fanatics. (That is a bit tongue in cheek.
For large scale projects and technology, a large population is necessary)

> · Riots and internal conflict tear apart India, South Africa and
Indonesia.
Is this new?

> · Access to water becomes a major battleground. The Nile, Danube and
Amazon
> are all mentioned as being high risk.

We have a plan for this. Let's do it!

> · A 'significant drop' in the planet's ability to sustain its present
> population will become apparent over the next 20 years.
Hmmm... I have heard this before.

> · Rich areas like the US and Europe would become 'virtual fortresses' to
> prevent millions of migrants from entering after being forced from land
> drowned by sea-level rise or no longer able to grow crops. Waves of
> boatpeople pose significant problems.

Don;t we need to so this anyways?

> · Nuclear arms proliferation is inevitable. Japan, South Korea, and
Germany
> develop nuclear-weapons capabilities, as do Iran, Egypt and North Korea.
> Israel, China, India and Pakistan also are poised to use the bomb.

Nothing new here.

> · By 2010 the US and Europe will experience a third more days with peak
> temperatures above 90F. Climate becomes an 'economic nuisance' as storms,
> droughts and hot spells create havoc for farmers.

Didn;t they say Europe would be colder? Which is it?

> · More than 400m people in subtropical regions at grave risk.

They always are.

> · Europe will face huge internal struggles as it copes with massive
numbers
> of migrants washing up on its shores. Immigrants from Scandinavia seek
> warmer climes to the south. Southern Europe is beleaguered by refugees
from
> hard-hit countries in Africa.

Haven;t I read this before in a history book as well?

> · Mega-droughts affect the world's major breadbaskets, including America's
> Midwest, where strong winds bring soil loss.

Now we won't have so much food to subsidize!

> · China's huge population and food demand make it particularly vulnerable.
> Bangladesh becomes nearly uninhabitable because of a rising sea level,
which
> contaminates the inland water supplies.

Could this mean China may become agressive? Why not let them have the moon
now so they can lob moonrocks at us really cheaply later.