Fw: [extropy-chat] Essay on Physical Immortality

Mark Walker mark at permanentend.org
Sun Jan 4 21:45:13 UTC 2004

-
From: "Samantha Atkins" >
> I agree with some of Hubert's points.  I would also remove the notion that
abortion is morally impermissable as that begs a few questions and throws a
controversy in that is not necessary to your point.

I don't claim that abortion is morally impermissible. Nor does Marquis claim
that his argument on its own is sufficient to prove abortion is morally
impermissible.

> Not addressing the moral permissibility of using life extension technology
is a major hole in your argument in my view.  It cannot be morally not
permitted to stop others from doing that which is not morally permitted if
that act in question has serious repercussions on others.

I do consider repercussions on others, e.g., overpopulation and
considerations of distributive justice. If my argument is correct the
repercussions for others will have to be pretty serious in order to trump
the value of a future-like-ours.

> I am sorry I commented before reading.  The general question could be much
better addressed than by using some specious abortion argument.  Please try
again.

Thanks for your comments.

Mark  Walker, PhD
Research Associate, Philosophy, Trinity College
University of Toronto
Room 214  Gerald Larkin Building
15 Devonshire Place
Toronto