[extropy-chat] Re: Hell

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 6 21:06:28 UTC 2004

Extropes,

--- Christian Weisgerber <naddy at mips.inka.de> wrote:

> Alfio Puglisi <puglisi at arcetri.astro.it> wrote:
>
> > A lake of molten brimstone [sulfur] means that its
> temperature must be at
> > or below the boiling point, which is 444.6 degrees
> C. (Above that point,
> > it would be a vapor, not a lake.)
>
> Well, we don't know about the pressure in Hell, do
> we?

Actually we can make an educated guess, if we take it
as axiomatic that hell is down inside the earth
somewhere.  By googling up temperature vs depth and
pressure vs depth profiles, we could set an upper and
lower bound.

Clearly, hell is not at or near the surface,(though
some would dispute this on based on human suffering
and rampant stupidity) cause it's too cold.

I haven't got those temp and pressure profiles close
at hand, nor the phase diagram for sulfur, so I can't
be more helpful.  Sorry.

Best, Jeff Davis

           "I thought I was taller."*
                           Milton Berle

* Punch line to a sight gag.  Uncle Milty raises his
stogey as if to take a puff, then jabs his forehead
with the chewed-on end, and says,..."