[extropy-chat] i-language again

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 12 03:52:22 UTC 2004

> Adrian Tymes
> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] i-language again
>

> --- Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > I propose an international language of sorts, or
> > rather an international language structure.
>
> Standard problem: how do you get people to start
> speaking it - especially if, as you state, it is for a
> limited purpose only?

Good question.  It isn't exactly a *spoken* language
of course.  I think of it as analogous to the DVDs
that have an additional director's track.  A written
passage which one might expect to have international
value might have an additional paragraph in an
I-english format with all ambiguous terms identified
and defined, which could be then universally translated.

example

Good:worthwhile question.  It is not exactly a spoken language
not-ambiguous.  I think:consider of it as analogous to the DVDs
that have an additional director's:creator-of-movies track:
region-on-disk-for-information-storage.  A written
passage:quantity-of-text which one:unspecified-human
might:possibly have an additional paragraph in an
I-english format:text-style with all ambiguous terms:
words identified and defined:meaning-specified, which
could be then universally:in-every-case translated:
converted-into-a-different-language.

> What if there are no, or several, native words for
> what has been provided for the definition of a meta
> word?

One must make these words, and identify which existing
words are most applicable to the I-language.  In every
language, the linguists have a job to do, but this
I-language approach may reduce the workload for the masses,
and more importantly, make all human language accessible to AI.

Do not underestimate the critical importance of making
our written language accessible to AI, for that is how
the AI will learn.  We do not want a superintelligent
agent to be baffled by us.