[extropy-chat] i-language again

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Mon Jan 12 04:13:03 UTC 2004

--- Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Adrian Tymes
> > Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] i-language again
> > --- Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > > I propose an international language of sorts, or
> > > rather an international language structure.
> >
> > Standard problem: how do you get people to start
> > speaking it - especially if, as you state, it is
> for a
> > limited purpose only?
>
> Good question.  It isn't exactly a *spoken* language
> of course.  I think of it as analogous to the DVDs
> that have an additional director's track.  A written
> passage which one might expect to have international
> value might have an additional paragraph in an
> I-english format with all ambiguous terms identified
> and defined, which could be then universally
> translated.

Which puts this in competition with existing, inexact
but still usually accurate, translators.  Still, if
you proposed this as a translator's trade tool rather
than a general-purpose language, then you might have
something - but you'd have to promote it to the
translators' professional societies to gain much
traction.

> Do not underestimate the critical importance of
> making
> our written language accessible to AI, for that is
> how
> the AI will learn.  We do not want a
> superintelligent
> agent to be baffled by us.

I'm not saying that's unimportant.  Just questioning
the applicability (and thus, feasability) of this
particular path at the present time, before those
superintelligent agents are a reality.