[extropy-chat] Sleeplessness

Rik van Riel riel at surriel.com
Sat Jan 17 02:34:57 UTC 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Harvey Newstrom wrote:

> I also practice what is known as "Lucid Dreaming."  This is where you can
> recognize you are in a dream state and become conscious of that fact.  I
> have consciously worked on project plans while asleep in a dream, and woken
> up with usable step by step solutions already worked out.

I have this too once in a while; it's just perfect since it
allows me to figure out solutions to complex problems without
any distractions.

> I have no idea if this allows me to work while in the REM state, or if
> this level of conscious thought interrupts the benefits of sleep.

> I don't do this often, since it is not reliable whether I will become
> lucid in my dreams or not.  So I can't rely on this time for scheduling
> work.

Sounds like two things to find out.  Adding extra thinking
to our lives without disrupting the sleep cycle would be a
nice (extropian) improvement of our lives...

Rik