[extropy-chat] Lie detector glasses

Russell Evermore nanowave at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 21 18:56:00 UTC 2004

Portland, Ore. - It may not be long before you hear airport security
screeners ask, "Do you plan on hijacking this plane?" A U.S. company using
technology developed in Israel is pitching a lie detector small enough to
fit in the eyeglasses of law enforcement officers, and its inventors say it
can tell whether a passenger is a terrorist by analyzing his answer to that
simple question in real-time.

http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20040116S0050

Interesting. I would imagine such a technology might prove effective whether
it actually worked or not. A terrorist need only BELIEVE the technology
works, and the added stress levels might well lead to enhanced effectiveness
of more conventional 'body language' lie-detection techniques. Just don't
ask if they're a terrorist though, since in their own minds that term surely
applies only to those who kill indiscriminately 'without cause.' Or isn't
that why a number of our so called "friends" are so quick to condemn
'terrorism' with the sweetest of smiles.

RE