[extropy-chat] Lie detector glasses

Wed Jan 21 19:55:30 UTC 2004

Russell Evermore wrote,
> Portland, Ore. - It may not be long before you hear airport
> security screeners ask, "Do you plan on hijacking this
> plane?" A U.S. company using technology developed in Israel
> is pitching a lie detector small enough to fit in the
> eyeglasses of law enforcement officers, and its inventors say
> it can tell whether a passenger is a terrorist by analyzing
> his answer to that simple question in real-time.
> <http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20040116S0050>

Vaporware.  They are announcing it before it works, saying they need more
development at this time.  There have been so many lie-detector
announcements in the last few years that never materialized, that security
experts just dismiss these out of hand.  The standard response now is "call
me if you ever actually get it working".

There are millions of innocent passengers for every terrorist.  Even if it
were 99% accurate, there would be tens of thousands of false-positives for
every real terrorist.  The device would be wrong tens of thousands of times
before it might be right one day.  I don't think it is possible to make this
device accurate enough to be useful.

Simply searching the passenger to make sure they have no weapons to take
over the plane with will produce much better results.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,