[extropy-chat] Lie detector glasses

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Wed Jan 21 21:02:42 UTC 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Harvey Newstrom wrote:

> Simply searching the passenger to make sure they have no weapons to take
> over the plane with will produce much better results.

Not really Harvey.  Without devoting too much thought to it
I can come up with at least 4 methods that would defeat
current search methods much of the time.  Some of them
require some sophistication (I've watched too many secret
agent movies I guess) but many could be managed by an
average individual with access to a hardware store.

The searches help little if at all.  Now the problem is
that you have to potentially get by an air marshal, then
you have to hope for a plane with few if any people willing
to risk their lives to stop you, then you have to get by
the cockpit door locks.

If they had a way to allow the pilot to flip the plane autopilot
into a ground control mode that would add another layer of
defense.

IMO, the searches are nothing more than a waste of time as
a significant deterrent.

Robert