[extropy-chat] Politics: US talks of suspending elections

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Wed Jul 14 03:19:49 UTC 2004

On Jul 13, 2004, at 7:21 PM, Gregory Propf wrote:
>> There really isn't much to vote for in this election.
>>
> Nonsense. I personally despise Kerry but I hate George W. a million
> times more.

I'm still missing the part where you assert there is something to vote
for.

Take a breather and get some perspective; there is no good reason to
invest emotion in this.  Breathless pronouncements that the end of the
world is nigh if $CANDIDATE gets elected happen every election cycle.
It won't happen this time after the election either.  I don't stand to
benefit in any significant sense no matter who is elected, nor do most
other people whether they realize it or not.

It is strange how everyone will tell you that both candidates suck ass
and then invest so much in which candidate gets elected.  The
Presidential election process does not constitute a useful choice any
more than selecting the method of your murder is a useful choice.
Every four years the powers that be throw up two largely
indistinguishable choices for the masses to pick from, neither of which
is particularly good.  The masses are easily manipulated into making an
emotional investment in someone they don't even like, much to the
benefit of the entrenched power structures.  And you are dancing to
their tune.

Of course, we can partially blame the fools that voted for all those
Constitutional amendments in 1913 for that.  A bad year for the
Republic.

j. andrew rogers