[extropy-chat] Politics: US talks of suspending elections

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jul 14 04:14:56 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 08:19:49PM -0700, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

> I'm still missing the part where you assert there is something to vote
> for.

May I suggest my candidate? http://www.cthulhu.org/

Cthulhu for President. Why vote for a lesser evil?

> Take a breather and get some perspective; there is no good reason to
> invest emotion in this.  Breathless pronouncements that the end of the
> world is nigh if $CANDIDATE gets elected happen every election cycle.
> It won't happen this time after the election either.  I don't stand to
> benefit in any significant sense no matter who is elected, nor do most
> other people whether they realize it or not.

I disagree. Shrub is definitely a greater evil.

> It is strange how everyone will tell you that both candidates suck ass
> and then invest so much in which candidate gets elected.  The

Of course they both suck ass. But Bush swallows.

> Presidential election process does not constitute a useful choice any
> more than selecting the method of your murder is a useful choice.
> Every four years the powers that be throw up two largely
> indistinguishable choices for the masses to pick from, neither of which
> is particularly good.  The masses are easily manipulated into making an
> emotional investment in someone they don't even like, much to the
> benefit of the entrenched power structures.  And you are dancing to
> their tune.

What is the alternative? Not to vote? Blow up federal buildings and send
anthrax in the mail? Found the transhumanist party?

> Of course, we can partially blame the fools that voted for all those
> Constitutional amendments in 1913 for that.  A bad year for the
> Republic.

I think it is time for some damage containment and control.