[extropy-chat] Politics: US talks of suspending elections

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Wed Jul 14 04:57:06 UTC 2004

On Jul 13, 2004, at 9:14 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> May I suggest my candidate? http://www.cthulhu.org/
>
> Cthulhu for President. Why vote for a lesser evil?

My candidate too.  I'm hoping that we'll get enough votes to get
matching Federal funds.

Actually, that does bring up a weird question.  What would happen if a
fictional entity got enough votes to qualify for "major party" status?
Hmm....

> I disagree. Shrub is definitely a greater evil.

<shrug>  Its arguable.

To put it another way, would we be better off with a Kerry and a
Republican Congress or Bush and a Democrat Congress?  The outcome is
virtually identical.

But since a Republican Congress is all but a sure thing, that changes
the calculus a bit.  But it also indicates that Bush will likely win
(ignoring the more complex demographic details of why this is).  If the
Democrats choke in this election, and there are better than even odds
that they will, they are politically finished as anything resembling
their current form.  The Republicans have managed to dodge all the
political third-rails that would erode the support of their base.

The real problem with the Democrats is that they are now not much more
than the Baby Boomer party, which automatically marginalizes them (and
for good reason).  The Republicans are currently controlled by a
Christian Right faction, a minority faction within that party.  GenX,
which is becoming one of the most important voting factions, is a
generation without a party to call home.  The next big political shift
will be when GenX starts taking control of the political structure
independent of current ones, possibly built in the carcass of the
current Democrats.

Every reasonable analysis seems to indicate that we won't get a real
political shift until 2010-2012, and then it will be toward a much more
libertarian political perspective.  Until then, not much you can do
about it.

> What is the alternative? Not to vote? Blow up federal buildings and
> send
> anthrax in the mail? Found the transhumanist party?

Neither being a cog in the current system nor attacking the existing
power structure directly is a constructive action.  The power
structures are largely immune to conventional attack, at least on any
relatively short-term basis.  Well-conceived clever and subtle
approaches, on the other hand can gain some traction, though it still
takes years.

> I think it is time for some damage containment and control.

Wishful thinking.  The problem is that Kerry is just a different type
of damage.

Things will shift, but it isn't going to happen overnight, and probably
not in this election.  Policy doesn't move that fast.  By my best
estimates, and the estimates of a number of others, we won't have real
meaningful change until the current power structure made up of Boomer
clowns in both parties goes into decline.

j. andrew rogers