[extropy-chat] Re: Politics: US talks of suspending elections

David deimtee at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jul 15 00:01:52 UTC 2004

Harvey Newstrom wrote:
> Brian Lee writes:
>
>> The problem is that hate is not a motivator to go out and vote.
>

> I thought that hate was the best motivator for voting, and that was why
> politicians prefer attack ads to issue ads.
> --
> Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
> <HarveyNewstrom.com>

I think that the major reason politicians avoid issues is
because issues by definition have people for and against.
By taking a stand, on either side, you are going to annoy
the people on the other side. Attack ads don't really
tick off any large group of voters because they don't
directly affect anyone. They work because people don't
pay to much attention to them. They just contribute to the
background noise and tend to sway people by unconscious
persuasion, rather than rational evaluation.

-david