[extropy-chat] Politics: US talks of suspending elections

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Sat Jul 17 20:09:36 UTC 2004

Samantha wrote:

>After the events of the last election and watching the current
>administration for the last four years, I very much wish I could believe
>that there is nothing to worry about.  But I cannot.  I believe that this
>administration is quite capable of stealing an election and if it looks
>like they cannot do so or win legitimately, postponing an election.   I
>would love to believe that there is no basis for such worry.   But I do
>not believe it.    I recommend watching very carefully and certainly NOT
>giving the government the benefit of doubt.  They have shown repeatedly
>that  they do not deserve it.

Would Bush steal an election? I don't know, but Kennedy did. And 14 years
later, his reviled (not without justification) opponent peaceably resigned.
The system is more resilient than we give it credit.

I don't know of any administration in US history that deserved the benefit
of the doubt. But the other side to Amara's "Bush 'War on Terrorism
fear-amplification machine'" is the drumbeat of conspiratorial accusations
against it, often far-fetched or contradictory.

I suppose that, with a possible exception for a true external threat,
liberty is best-served by the legislature and executive in opposition to
each other. At least until we can elect Virginia Postrel or Perry Metzger, say.

Are we better today with D/R (Clinton/Gingrich) or R/D (Reagan/Tip O'Neill) ?

-- David Lubkin.