[extropy-chat] RE: [wta-talk] SIAI seeking seed AI programmer candidates

BillK bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jun 2 10:21:01 UTC 2004

On Wed Jun 2 00:58:24 MDT 2004 Eugen Leitl wittily wrote:
> With programmers alone it's hard even to tie your own shoelaces.
> What of hardware people? Numerics people? Neuroscientists, physicists?
>
> Writing code is a negligible part of the project.

Here in the UK over the next five years the government will spend an
extra £5billion (~$9.2 billion) creating the IT infrastructure for a
21st century national health service. The National Programme is the UK's
biggest technology project. Some articles mention up to 10,000
programmers will be involved.

Take the buzzwords out and basically all this money is being spent to
get our medical records on a database so that they can be on a screen in
hospital and at your local doctor.

Now if it takes that much effort to get data on a screen, how much
should taking over the world cost?

Pause for thought?

BillK