[extropy-chat] the (scary) future of pro-death bioethicsandlegislation

Max More max at maxmore.com
Wed Jun 16 22:15:25 UTC 2004

At 03:52 AM 6/16/2004, Robert wrote:

>I believe that the Japanese have slowly begun to raise the age
>of retirement to deal with this problem (though this should be
>verified).  The U.S. of course has yet to deal with it.

Not entirely true, Robert. The "US government" has mostly got in the way
through skewing financial incentives (though individual financial
innumeracy is also a major problem). My review of a relevant piece:

Redefining Retirement in the 21st Century
Knowledge at Wharton, June 2 2004
http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/index.cfm?fa=printArticle&ID=996
http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/996.cfm

Researching and administering pension plans has increased in complexity and
uncertainty. Shifting workforce demographics, and changes in employee
expectations about retirement and the range of retirement options offered
are the main drivers behind the challenges of retirement policy. This
article reports on a recent Wharton conference titled “Reinventing the
Retirement Paradigm,” where academics, government officials, and industry
leaders debated the fate of the baby boomers and the prospects for younger
workers. Setting aside several retirement policy issues, this article
surveys the conference participants’ views on pension planning in relation
to employment trends among both younger and older workers. Among the topics
covered are retirement options such as “phased retirement”, possible
impending labor shortages, the economic impact of retiring baby boomers,
and how retirement incentives might be adjusted. <BR><BR>

A major concern of the conference was the aging population and its effects
on the availability of labor. The percentage of the population over 65 will
expand greatly by 2035, while the main working age segment of 20-54
year-olds, after brief gain, will drop sharply. Pension coverage as a whole
has changed little over the last four decades, but defined benefit plans
have lost ground to defined contribution plans. The latter typically create
incentives for early retirement­an effect that is now the opposite of what
is needed. One speaker examined the idea of “phased retirement,” in which
older workers continue with their employers on a part-time basis, but noted
difficulties in freeing up some early retirement benefits. <BR><BR>

The long-term bias against employing older people may finally be weakening,
as companies face the facts of changing workforce demographics. In a
related change, some companies have abandoned prohibitions against rehiring
retirees. However, many workers who claim they want to continue working
after retirement age do not actually do so. Workers are more likely to
retire if they have defined benefit pension plans. Other significant
factors include health insurance and being self-employed. Researchers have
found that workers either do not understand their finances or fail to
incorporate them into retirement planning until they reach retirement age.
Despite the demographic pressures, employers are resistant to changing
their incentive plans.

Max More, Ph.D.
max at maxmore.com or more at extropy.org
http://www.maxmore.com
Strategic Philosopher
Chairman, Extropy Institute. http://www.extropy.org <more at extropy.org>
Director of Content Solutions, ManyWorlds Inc.: http://www.manyworlds.com
--- Thought leadership in the innovation economy
m.more at manyworlds.com