[extropy-chat] gmail invitations

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 21 21:29:04 UTC 2004

--- Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 01:37:47PM -0700, Mike Lorrey wrote:
>
> > I've got to wonder how this makes gmail so great. Yahoo's spam
> > filter is outstanding. I get 10-20 spams a day which go
> > automatically into my
> > 'bulk' folder. Maybe 1 a day gets through to my inbox.

> I don't know what the spam filter, or Harry Hawk's spam has to do
> with anything.

It's being sold as a feature of Gmail. Since my yahoo account is about
four years old, and it tends to be a given that older accounts get more
spam, it seems rather clear that gmail's spam filtration is less
capable than Yahoo's.

> > Yahoo is 100 mb of space for free, 2 Gigs for $19.95 a year. What
> are
> > the real advantages of gmail?
>
> I use Gmail as a free searchable scratch account I can access with
> realtime keystrokes
> as a pure text MUA which has 1 GByte I don't have to administer. For
> everything else I have my dedicated root server, 30 EUR/month, 250
> GByte traffic/month included, plus 5 EUR/month for a second IP.

Okay, I can search my yahoomail too, and I can allegedly, if I want,
access it via a text app like PINE (haven't felt the need up to now).
Is there a cost for the 1 GB gmail account? If not, is there planned to
be a cost after some introductory period?

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                         -William Pitt (1759-1806)