[extropy-chat] gmail invitations

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jun 21 21:11:44 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 01:37:47PM -0700, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> Harry Hawk says on Orkut that his gmail account now gets 70 spam
> messages a day, that his SPAM folder has over 12,000 messages in it.

Wow, this means he's been using Gmail for some 170 days, assuming he started
getting 70 messages right from the start (telepathic spammers?). 70 spams/day
strikes me as way too low, some of my ancient user accounts going back a
decade get some 200-300/day. I use them to train Spamassassin's Bayesian
filter.

> I've got to wonder how this makes gmail so great. Yahoo's spam filter

What, the spam filter? It's purported to work. No idea how useful it is.

> is outstanding. I get 10-20 spams a day which go automatically into my
> 'bulk' folder. Maybe 1 a day gets through to my inbox. I don't have to

I don't know what the spam filter, or Harry Hawk's spam has to do with anything.

> maintain a folder of thousands of spam messages, I delete them. Yahoo
> knows they are spam and is still able to use them to improve its
> filtration without putting administration on to me.
>
> And, while another poster said they like gmail cause they can access it
> anywhere on any OS, I've done the same with Yahoo mail all over the US
> on many machines and OS's.
>
> Yahoo is 100 mb of space for free, 2 Gigs for $19.95 a year. What are
> the real advantages of gmail?

I use Gmail as a free searchable scratch account I can access with realtime keystrokes
as a pure text MUA which has 1 GByte I don't have to administer. For
everything else I have my dedicated root server, 30 EUR/month, 250 GByte
traffic/month included, plus 5 EUR/month for a second IP.

However, it's my personal problem once the box dies, and I have to restore it
from my nighly backup (which reminds me, I don't yet have a nightly backup,
in fact I don't have a backup at all).