[extropy-chat] POLITICS: terrorism and strategies

natashavita at earthlink.net natashavita at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 25 15:31:35 UTC 2004

From: Rafal

>Of course then, if you are a libertarian, you will hold that the only
>moral way is the libertarian way - as I indeed believe, too. This is
>however substantially different from saying "I'm better than you" -
>indeed, the core of libertarian thinking is the deepest humility towards
>others, an unwillingness to force our views on them. We are not better,
>even if our views are the only moral way.

"Libertarianism does not concern itself with morality. To the contrary,
libertarianism is probably best understood as being inherently
non-judgmental: it intentionally rejects the making of moral judgments.
Whereas a given libertarian may have a code of ethics - while he or she may
have an understanding of good versus evil - libertarianism itself has no
code of ethics and refuses ever to have one. This does not imply that all
libertarians are amoral, though some libertarians are averse to making
moral judgments. To the contrary, libertarianism is amoral primarily so as
to make itself compatible with a wide variety of ethical codes and
political ideologies: by refusing to align itself with any particular code
of ethics, libertarianism conflicts with few."

What I really like about this is the proposed "objective" of reasoning of
libertarianism.  This certainly makes it a more aptly futuristic ideology
in regards to self-responsibility and not blaming problems on others or
other political ideologies.  I think the central problem with the
Democratic party and American Democrats (*not people for democracy,* which
is not owned by the Democratic party or Democrats), is that it seems to
perpetually blame others for social problems.

Best,
Natasha