[extropy-chat] POLITICS: terrorism and strategies

natashavita at earthlink.net natashavita at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 25 14:46:36 UTC 2004

From: Rafal

> "only only moral way forward is the libertarian one..."  For goodness
> sakes, this is another slam-dunk "I'm right and you are wrong."
> sensibility that aggravates people.
>
> A hell of a lot of people share this world view.  I dare say that they
> are not libertarian.  So then, if you claim that libertarians, and not
> other political dogmas, claim this world view, isn't that hypocritical
> and stated to say "I'm better than you" ?

### Aside from the strong forms of moral relativism, most moral beliefs
include a conviction about their own relative superiority - after all,
why would anybody hold a belief if not because it's better than others?

*Perhaps this is the problem with the world -:)

Of course then, if you are a libertarian, you will hold that the only
moral way is the libertarian way - as I indeed believe, too. This is
however substantially different from saying "I'm better than you" -
indeed, the core of libertarian thinking is the deepest humility towards
others, an unwillingness to force our views on them. We are not better,
even if our views are the only moral way.

* If your way is better than my way just because you are a libertarian,
then I'd have to say that you think you are better than me.  If not, I'll
take that pill that Damien suggested to Robert.

Best,
Natasha