[extropy-chat] Open and hidden fascism in Exi forum

Eliezer Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Sun Jun 27 18:19:53 UTC 2004

Adrian Tymes wrote:
> --- Samantha Atkins <samantha at objectent.com> wrote:
>
>> So being a critic is unreasonable behavior calling for severe
>> reprimand and even being labeled as a "fascist" but proposing blowing
>> up many thousands of people and centers of one or more religions is
>> merely being a "devil's advocate".  How does that work?
>
> This is a discussion list.  This list is here for the purpose of
> discussion.  Attacking the discussion itself is therefore worse than any
> particular thing being discussed.

A complete non-sequitur.  It simply doesn't follow.

As long as I'm sticking my nose into this:  Hubert Mania is wrong to blame
ExI for Bradbury, and blatantly obviously factually wrong to allege a giant
ExI conspiracy to wipe out Sudan.  But he's also obviously not a fascist
himself, just a hostile person on a mailing list.  Let's all try and keep
our insults within the realm of plausible possibility.