[extropy-chat] Hubert Mania's comments

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Mon Jun 28 00:09:22 UTC 2004

At 02:19 PM 6/27/04 -0400, Eli wrote:

>Adrian Tymes wrote:
>>--- Samantha Atkins <samantha at objectent.com> wrote:
>>
>>>So being a critic is unreasonable behavior calling for severe
>>>reprimand and even being labeled as a "fascist" but proposing blowing
>>>up many thousands of people and centers of one or more religions is
>>>merely being a "devil's advocate".  How does that work?
>>This is a discussion list.  This list is here for the purpose of
>>discussion.  Attacking the discussion itself is therefore worse than any
>>particular thing being discussed.
>
>A complete non-sequitur.  It simply doesn't follow.
>
>As long as I'm sticking my nose into this:  Hubert Mania is wrong to blame
>ExI for Bradbury, and blatantly obviously factually wrong to allege a
>giant ExI conspiracy to wipe out Sudan.  But he's also obviously not a
>fascist himself, just a hostile person on a mailing list.  Let's all try
>and keep our insults within the realm of plausible possibility.

Thank you Eli, I agree with your views.  Isn't it interesting that someone
(Hubert) can name call and everyone just sits and listens but when the
person doing the attacking is responded to in kind, he is given the benefit
of the doubt.  I think this behavior reflects a level of "humanity" in
people that is both meaningful and potentially harmful.  I think you could
have advised that Hubert be less "reactionary" and more logical in his
comments and exceedingly over broad claims, which are, in fact, entirely
ludicrous.

Natasha

Natasha Vita-More
http://www.natasha.cc