[extropy-chat] Human dignity, life and death

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 12 22:49:10 UTC 2004

--- Giu1i0 Pri5c0 <gpmap at runbox.com> wrote:

"They will talk of Human Nature and Human Dignity.
But the most distinctive feature of human nature is
our trying to overcome limitations and achieve
previously unattainable goals. This is the source of
our civilization.

And human dignity is to be found in the struggle.
Who has more dignity: one who meekly accepts things as
they are, or one who tries to change them into
something better."

             -----------------------

I was outside one night, walking beneath the stars,
reflecting on Luddite warnings about "losing our
humanity".  I looked out into the vastness of the
universe, and--marvelous notion that it is--back in
time as well, and asked myself a question: "This
humanity, what is it?  The essential human nature,
what is it?  What to be human?  What's at the core?"

Now, don't get me wrong, what I came up with is not to
be taken as a comprehensive answer, but rather a tidy
little truism?  Like a shiny pebble found on a remote
and nameless beach, gathered between thumb and
forefinger, rubbed affectionately, and
acknowledged--greeted really--one bit of stardust to
another.

We are creatures--patterns of awareness, actually--who
strive to forge our own destiny.

Patterns of awareness that strive to forge their own
destiny.

YMMV.

Best, Jeff Davis

      "We don't see things as they are,