[extropy-chat] RISKS: hazard comparisons

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Mon Mar 15 13:28:27 UTC 2004

Brett Paatsch:
>Asteroids are non-partisan and don't differentiate voter preferences
>highly in any given electoral period.

Fortunately...

>They aren't lonely phenomenon in that respect unfortunately.

It's better to see some evaluations and numbers to gauge the risks.

Planetary Defense Conference: Protecting the Earth from Asteroids
A summary of papers from a 4-day AIAA conference held February 23-26

http://128.102.38.40/impact/news_detail.cfm?ID=136#top

Be careful though, you know that occasionally astronomers
see opportunities to gain funding for their research, so
please don't think that science is politics-free. (I'm
sure you already know that.)

Amara

P.S. You know how much I hate these kind of discussions.
I would prefer much more to see people today  as pro-living,
rather than pro-risks or pro-deaths.

Amara Graps, PhD          email: amara at amara.com
Computational Physics     vita:  ftp://ftp.amara.com/pub/resume.txt
Multiplex Answers         URL:   http://www.amara.com/