[extropy-chat] RISKS: hazard comparisons

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 15 19:31:39 UTC 2004

--- Amara Graps <amara at amara.com> wrote:

> Brett Paatsch:
> >Asteroids are non-partisan and don't differentiate voter preferences
> >highly in any given electoral period.
>
> Fortunately...
>
> >They aren't lonely phenomenon in that respect unfortunately.

No, like some unthinking masses here on earth, they change direction
significantly when struck violently. While some boldly advance toward
the origin of the strike, others flee from it.

> It's better to see some evaluations and numbers to gauge the risks.
>
> Planetary Defense Conference: Protecting the Earth from Asteroids
> A summary of papers from a 4-day AIAA conference held February 23-26
>
> http://128.102.38.40/impact/news_detail.cfm?ID=136#top
>
> Be careful though, you know that occasionally astronomers
> see opportunities to gain funding for their research, so
> please don't think that science is politics-free. (I'm
> sure you already know that.)

I didn't see anything about the 1000 year old strike south of New
Zealand in the report.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development