[extropy-chat] RISKS: hazard comparisons

Alfio Puglisi puglisi at arcetri.astro.it
Tue Mar 16 10:09:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Mike Lorrey wrote:

>--- Amara Graps <amara at amara.com> wrote:
>>
>> Brett Paatsch:
>> >Asteroids are non-partisan and don't differentiate voter preferences
>> >highly in any given electoral period.
>>
>> Fortunately...
>>
>> >They aren't lonely phenomenon in that respect unfortunately.
>
>No, like some unthinking masses here on earth, they change direction
>significantly when struck violently. While some boldly advance toward
>the origin of the strike, others flee from it.

I was in Spain when the bombs exloded, and during the elections. The media
spin about this "bombs moving votes" is big outside Spain.  For some
reason it is rarely mentioned that 90% of Spanish people were opposed to
their nation's intervention in the war from the start, that Aznar was
already (slightly) behind in the polls before the attacks, and that he
tried to use the two hundred victims to change the vote outcome. He
failed.

Alfio