[extropy-chat] Christopher Reeve Foundation: Request

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Sat Mar 20 06:24:00 UTC 2004

At 11:51 AM 3/20/2004 +1100, Brett Paatsch wrote:

>a vote for Bush is a vote for going slower on embryonic stem cell
>research. There should be absolutely no illusions about that.

I want to assume that what you are saying is true, and go on from there.

In 1980, I had a friend who was convinced the country would be destroyed if
Reagan won the election.

It's 24 years later. There is a wide spectrum of opinion on the merits of
his presidency. But we're still here. Whatever you might say about Ed Meese
or James Watts or Reaganomics, we didn't have a nuclear war, the Warsaw
Pact is gone, and life rolled on.

I've been trying to convince the people in my life that this year's
election is different. It is less important whether someone's job moves to
India or it is harder to get an abortion than whether a cargo container in
Boston Harbor has a 100 KT nuclear device. I'm not saying who one should
vote for, just that it's essential to focus on the right issues.

They (some of them, anyway) can appreciate the desirability of avoiding a
bio or nuclear attack.

The question I wish to raise is a variant on past threads. What could Bush
or Kerry reasonably be predicted to do in our realm of extropian topics
(such as Brett's example) that would have a greater likely effect for
better or ill -- on sentient life, on the US, on us personally -- than
preventing a large WMD attack?

What are the most important of these that Bush and Kerry differ on? Does
this add up to a clear electoral choice?

And a related question -- given these critical matters and the differences
between Bush and Democrat or Kerry and Republican, is the future better
served now, in the decisions being made in the next four years, by a
divided government or by the party that takes the White House also
controlling Congress?

-- David Lubkin.