[extropy-chat] Christopher Reeve Foundation: Request

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Sat Mar 20 20:25:38 UTC 2004

At 01:24 AM 3/20/04 -0500, David wrote:

>At 11:51 AM 3/20/2004 +1100, Brett Paatsch wrote:
>
>>a vote for Bush is a vote for going slower on embryonic stem cell
>>research. There should be absolutely no illusions about that.
>
>I want to assume that what you are saying is true, and go on from there.

>The question I wish to raise is a variant on past threads. What could Bush
>or Kerry reasonably be predicted to do in our realm of extropian topics
>(such as Brett's example) that would have a greater likely effect for
>better or ill -- on sentient life, on the US, on us personally -- than
>preventing a large WMD attack?

I'm not sure this is a viable answer the most pending issue for the world -
terrorism.  I'm begging to see terrorism as "gangs" and see the world
dealing with them much as LA deals with its gangs.  There are a number of
professional gangs in LA who have their territory, culture, and language.
They have become accepted (to a point) and co-exist in LA
community.  Everyone knows they are there, no one wants to cause any
trouble by busting them up and getting ride of them because these gangs
have become an "integrated" culture.  Speaking with a friend who defends
the lifestyle of gangs, I can understand his perspective, as much as I
morally disagree.  He says it is all they have and they are a by-product of
society.  My friend is Caucasian gay male with a African American partner
who got a job working as a word processor in a law firm.  He straddles the
fence on the underground and the aboveground as proved to be a loyal cohort
in a world that neither he nor I felt comfortable, however for very, very
different reasons.

The police in LA know the gangs exist and work around them, making deals
much life the ole' days with the Mafia.  I know that larger Mafia gangs
have ruled countries for years and the world has cooperated to some extent
with them to salvage some peace.

Today the religious terrorist gangs are gaining more and more
control.  Bush wants to see them broken up and destroyed.  I am with
comedian Dennis Miller on this one:

"I think as a nation periodically, you have to put your foot down and just
let people know there's a line you don't go beyond," Miller said. "Now who
are we going to bank on? The United Nations? For God sakes, you only have
to watch one session of the General Assembly [and] you want to prescribe
Ritalin to a glacier, they're so ineffective."

And regarding suicide bombers:

"They existed before this. They're gonna exist after this," Miller
responded. "You know other than the bombs they strap to their chest, I have
absolutely no idea what makes suicide bombers tick."

Oh, and I just have to toss this last Miller comment in for good measure:

"Not only did Miller analyze Operation Iraqi Freedom, he took a moment to
touch on domestic problems including tort reform in the U.S. He was
especially miffed about overweight Americans looking to sue fast-food
outlets and the Big Three automakers.

"They say that the seatbelts in the cars don't fit around their waist,"
said Miller. "Now folks, if you can't get the seatbelt in a car around your
waist, a head-on collision is like the least of your health concerns."

I'm not sure if Bush or Kerry have an opinion on that. :-)

>What are the most important of these that Bush and Kerry differ on? Does
>this add up to a clear electoral choice?

I don't know but here are some basics:

Bush                                            Kerry
Terrorism utmost importance                     Against US war in Iraq
Against stem cell cloning                       Supports research
Medicare/prescript/help "illegals"              Health Insurance for Americans
Constitution against abortion                   Only elect Supreme Ct.
Justice for Abortion Rights
Against gay marriage                            Against gay marriage but
for civil rights or certificate
Environment -market solve probs.                Regulations on industries
Education?                                      Overhaul education
taxes - ?                                       Raise taxes of wealthy
Obesity- ?                                      Obesity- ?

>And a related question -- given these critical matters and the differences
>between Bush and Democrat or Kerry and Republican, is the future better
>served now, in the decisions being made in the next four years, by a
>divided government or by the party that takes the White House also
>controlling Congress?

Don't know.

Natasha

Natasha Vita-More