[extropy-chat] The end of crime as we used to know it?

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal at smigrodzki.org
Mon Mar 22 21:29:36 UTC 2004

Eugen wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 07:26:25PM +0000, BillK wrote:
>
>> So the idea of the open society is breaking through to your average
>> man-in-the-street newsreader. That's quick. I expected it to take
>> years for it to become common knowledge.
>
> Open society? Where? Have you been reading too much Brin again?
>
> Have you ever tried recording anything in a shop? Try it. Let the
> owner know you're doing it. Read Steve Mann's account of shooting
> back.
>
> Have you ever tried recording a LEO while on duty? Try it. Make sure
> you have good health and lawyer insurance. Bring overnight kit for
> the cell. A politician? Try it. Bring overnight kit for the cell.
>
> Have you ever tried preventing a LEO from filming you? Try it. See
> above.
>
> So how's it helping if the evidence is admissible/not
> admissible/admissible/not admissible (it all depends on who's doing
> whom)?
>
> How do you stream your stuff if the connection is jammed? Make these
> things cheap, because they will be confiscated. A lot. It's all a
> photoshop job, anyway, nyahnyah.
>
> Central control beats decentral control. Those in power will use the
> technology against you, and will not allow the technology to be used
> against them. They're much better at this game than the disorganized,
> apathetic public.
>
> Sorry if this came out of nowhere, I've been reading today's news
> again, and these are not good. Not good at all, and channelling
> Brin's not helping.

### But Eugen, all that you write is again arguing against authoritarians
using or suppressing surveillance technology (and arguing against
authoritarians is usually futile, since they will do what they want, not
what you suggest), or against sheeple, but nothing really argues against the
use of private surveillance technologies in reasonably democratic societies.

(I wrote "again" because I remember you writing almost the same lines a year
ago, or so.)

Rafal