[extropy-chat] The end of crime as we used to know it?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Mar 22 18:55:31 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 01:29:36PM -0800, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:

> ### But Eugen, all that you write is again arguing against authoritarians
> using or suppressing surveillance technology (and arguing against

I'm arguing that this lunacy is done because the governors have been able to
successfully sell this Massively Bad Idea to the governed:

	http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/45850

The people have been buying the party line, fish, hook and sinker.

> authoritarians is usually futile, since they will do what they want, not
> what you suggest), or against sheeple, but nothing really argues against the
> use of private surveillance technologies in reasonably democratic societies.

I'm telling you the status quo in reasonably democratic socities.
I'm telling you that reality falsifies Brin, so far. There might be a
backlash due to coming social unrest (the economy in the EU deteriorates, US
is not far behind), but there's no evidence for it so far.

> (I wrote "again" because I remember you writing almost the same lines a year
> ago, or so.)

If anything, the situation has become worse since.