[extropy-chat] Unauthorized use of our name on your site

Jose Cordeiro jose_cordeiro at yahoo.com
Mon May 24 05:45:25 UTC 2004

Dear Aubrey and Methuselah Foundation friends,

     Please remove any links to the WTA from the unfortunate personal statement of James Hughes. I have alreaday written to him several times to ask for an apology, but he has refused to do so since March, and the WTA Board might now be forced to take other actions.

     The WTA, and my personally, strongly support your work, but we are an apolitical organization and James Hughes had no right to use unlawfully our name and to further refuse withdrawing that offensive post to many of our members. It is interesting to note the Nick Bostrom, current Chair of the WTA, signed under his own name and personal webpage.

     Sincerely yours,

     José Luis Cordeiro

Harvey Newstrom <mail at HarveyNewstrom.com> wrote:
I am a member of the Board of Directors of the World Transhumanist
Association. I have been appointed Liaison to other transhumanist
organizations.

It has come to my attention that our secretary James Hughes has made
the following donation:
using the
name of our organization. He did not have permission to use our
organization's name, and has refused repeated requests from various
Board members to remove it. He insists that this was a personal
statement that doesn't involve the WTA. While the Board of Directors
of WTA supports your work greatly, we have received complaints
concerning the praise of "Michael Harrington" being submitted under our
name, since our organization Constitution forbids corporate officers
from endorsing any particular political viewpoints in connection with
our organization's name.

Do you have a policy concerning private donors using organizational
names without permission? Can you remove our organization name so that
it just shows "James Hughes" as the donor instead of "World
Transhumanist Association - James Hughes"? Can you also remove the
link to our website that is included a the bottom of the signature? I
appreciate your attention to this matter. I have included comments
from six of our nine Board Members below to show you the opinions of
the Board. James Hughes' own claim is at the bottom. (The other three
have not commented on this issue.)

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC