[extropy-chat] Bush wants another $75 billion for wars

Al Brooks kerry_prez at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 1 00:35:33 UTC 2004

I've heard that morale in the lower levels of management is generally quite poor today because those at the top are allegedly rewarded much more than mid & lower level managers are. Do you know anything about this?
Having said that, I regard the "race to the bottom", that
some large companies seem to be holding, to be a danger to
the world economy.

The reason for this is that irresponsible exploitation and
huge inequality inevitably leads to social and political
tensions. Tensions that lead to crime, violence, destruction
and, as an extreme, protectionism and even revolution and/or
war.

Unsurmountable inequality is a problem. The only good
inequality is one that can be overcome by individuals that
simply outperform others. IMHO inequality should act as
a motivation for people to do their very best; the moment
inequality becomes so big it demotivates people we have a
problem.

> Should there be requirements to return such wealth beyond a certain
> point?

IMHO, the sharing of wealth should be done only up to the
point where it helps to give everybody the opportunity to
be successful. I believe this includes things like basic
healthcare, education and safety.

Too much more than that, and people might lose the motivation
to be productive. Too much less than that, and you reduce
the ability of people to be productive.