[extropy-chat] LIMBOIDS

scerir scerir at libero.it
Mon Nov 1 20:26:19 UTC 2004

> LIMBOIDS
> What, if anything, separates life from nonlife?

[miscellanea]

At Caltech, Chris Adami is studying exactly that, imo.
http://dllab.caltech.edu/avida/
http://dllab.caltech.edu/research/

"According to our approach living organisms
and computer programs are beautiful structures
and are pretty much the same thing." (?!)
http://physis.sourceforge.net/

John Baez wrote: 'Is life improbable?',
in Found. Phys. 19 (1989), 91-95,
and sometimes this paper appears here too
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/improbable.pdf
According to J.B. his paper explains the flaw
in a famous proof by Wigner. What his [Wigner's]
argument actually proves is something much
weaker than what he wanted to prove. Roughly,
he proves that if you first pick a specific
design of a machine and then randomly choose
the laws of physics, it's unlikely this machine
will be able to reproduce itself in a specific
amount of time. This should not be surprising:
to design a machine that does a specified task,
one usually needs to know a little about the laws
of physics ahead of time.  When I restated the problem
- says J.B. - and redid Wigner's calculation,
I got drastically different results.

See also: quant-ph/0303124
'Quantum Mechanical Universal Constructor'
by Arun K. Pati, and Samuel L. Braunstein
" Arbitrary quantum states cannot be copied.
In fact, to make a copy we must provide complete
information about the system. However, can a quantum
system self-replicate? This is not answered by the
no-cloning theorem. In the classical context, Von Neumann
showed that a 'universal constructor' can exist which
can self-replicate an arbitrary system, provided that
it had access to instructions for making copy of the
system. We question the existence of a universal
constructor that may allow for the self-replication
of an arbitrary quantum system. We prove that there
is no deterministic universal quantum constructor
which can operate with finite resources.
Further, we delineate conditions under which such
a universal constructor can be designed to operate
deterministically and probabilistically. "

For now, beautiful  manmade boids are here
http://www.red3d.com/cwr/boids/
(no need of a universal quantum constructor!)