[extropy-chat] religious liberty

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 13:08:19 UTC 2004

--- Al Brooks <kerry_prez at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Religious organizations ought to keep their tax exempt status; they
> should have complete liberty to refuse medical treatment for
> religious reasons; they should have thorough freedom to worship-- if
> they want to dress up as ballerinas to church on Sunday morning and
> spray each other with whipped cream, that is fine. However I draw the
> line at them running for public office. Naturally they have the right
> to run for office, but anyone opposing them can do whatever they wish
> to maneuver against them, keep them out of office & vote them out if
> they are incumbents. To hell with them.

At 'them' who? Priests? Or just people with religious beliefs? Don't
you realize that your atheism therefore disqualifies you, because it is
as much a superstition as those that worship guys who hang from trees?

An opponent is of course free to campaign however he or she wants. What
the public thinks of their tactics, though, will determine the election.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)