[extropy-chat] Aw Nuts! Bush Wins...

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 14:08:01 UTC 2004

I've been wondering whether generation Y can't actually connect with
government. It seems to have much less influence in the modern western
world, where each person needs to act like a service company of size 1
rather than an employee... each person secures job security (or not)
through peddling a skillset rather than long service, "loyalty", or
any of the other job market anachronisms. Life takes place in a
chaotic decentralised self organising milleau of economy, and the top
level of control seems increasingly to be a mirage.

So even if Y was convinced to come out and vote, perhaps there is no
generational shape to their voting, and thus the almost random split.
Perhaps the left/right two party politics of today really is
meaningless? The opposing major parties, especially in Australia, look
more and more like factions of one party, or maybe like football
teams; you back the one you were brought up to support, but really
there is no difference outside of the colour of the jerseys. Vote 1
Chelsea for President!

Emlyn

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 19:49:54 -0800, Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Brian Lee
> > Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Aw Nuts! Bush Wins...
> >
> > What puzzles me is how so many first time voters went for
> > Bush. I expected all of the increase in new voter registrations to be
> anti-Bush. Wierd.
> >
> > BAL
>

> That was a common mistake, a view held by both parties.
> The dems were struggling to get young voters to register
> and turn out, whereas the reps were hesitant to the point
> of being uncomfortable.  But I saw a few interviews where
> they actually went onto campuses, and learned that as a
> whole, young people are not particularly liberal.  They
> seem balanced about the same as their parents generation.
> Perhap we made an incorrect generalization about 20-somethings
> based on their predecessors.  Their presence at the polls
> did not seem to have a big impact either way.
>
> Im trying to get a feel for generation Y issues.  I would
> think that the draft would be one of them, but the two major
> parties both opposed a draft.  There is a great reason for
> this: we can't trust draftees in any conceivable future
> conflict.  I would think the right to abortion would be
> a generation Y issue, but birth control is getting better,
> more foolproof, so perhaps this isn't such a big deal.
>
> So what are the young voters thinking?
>
> spike

Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com   * blogs * music * software *