[extropy-chat] No Joy in Mudville

Kevin Freels cmcmortgage at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 5 01:50:47 UTC 2004

I wouldn;t even call it a civil union. People could live together or not. It
doesn;t matter what sex or haow many are involved. Marriage can continue to
be a religious ceremony, but it would have no government benefit or
recognition.
When it comes to property, it becomes a matter of contract law. If you want
someone to have a right to your property, you draw it up in a contract. If
you want to will something, you make a will. Not only does it simplify
things, it also opens a lot of doors. Right now, my girlfriend (happily
co-habitating for four years) has no say over what happens to me when I die.
She knows I plan to go to Alcor. My parents are both Catholic and would
resist this. Since I am not married, my parents would be making the
decisions. My only option at this moment to give my girlfriend control over
this is to marry her, which is against my (non)"religion". EVen if I go to
the JP to get married instead of a church, they still invoke God.
Doing away with marriage...and civil unions would force everyone to make
those arrangements in contracts.