[extropy-chat] No Joy in Mudville

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Fri Nov 5 07:54:04 UTC 2004

From: "Kevin Freels" <cmcmortgage at sbcglobal.net>
> Even if I go to
> the JP to get married instead of a church, they still invoke God.

Really?  When I got married in City Hall (San Francisco), there was *no*
mention of any god.

> Doing away with marriage...and civil unions would force everyone to make
> those arrangements in contracts.

I think it's all about options.  Some people like the idea of marriage -
sometimes (not always) because it binds families.  It's like - we can't
always choose our relatives, but we *can* choose to have someone be
"related" to us by marriage.

And speaking of families, I think it's been a boon for our society to have
the prejudice against single parents lifted somewhat, as well as the stigma
of "divorce."

I'm neither for nor against marriage.  I am, however, for options and the
freedom to make the choices that are available to people (and, of course,
this would include having the same set of rules for heterosexuals and
homosexuals or asexuals).

Olga