[extropy-chat] longevity and social security (was Extropian Scorecard)

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Nov 6 20:31:41 UTC 2004

At 12:07 PM 11/6/2004 -0800, Chris wrote:

>Is it possible that that's the nature of social security in Australia?

Yes. `The Australian retirement income system still differs radically from
that in most other countries, in relying heavily on a means-tested income
maintenance system, rather than on social insurance.'

http://www.natsem.canberra.edu.au/pubs/cp99/1999_006/cp1999_006.html

>In the US, Social Security is an entitlement for older people.  Doesn't
>matter how much money they have, whether they are employed or not, how fit
>or ill they are.

I guess this had never fully registered with me (I understand that a lot of
well-heeled Americans regard it as beneath their dignity to accept the
pension). But I did notice that the pension entitlement age has been
creeping upward in the USA, Australia and elsewhere, although meeting
resistance.

`A few countries, such as Sweden, have taken early steps to cover the cost
of health care and retirement for their aging population. They have
retooled retirement plans, tying benefits to contributions, raised
retirement ages... In Italy, for example, people can retire at 57 and
collect full benefits, if they have worked 35 years. The Italian government
is pushing to raise the retirement age but faces opposition from unions....
in the 1980s, when the U.K. linked benefits to inflation, rather than to
wage growth. The overhaul, carried out under Prime Minister Margaret
Thatcher, also gradually raised the age at which women could get pensions
to 65 by 2010. The nation had already done that for men.'
(http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/retirement/2004-10-04-debt_x.htm )

Do note that Mike Lorrey and I were not talking about small increments in
sickly life extension. The topic was *practical immortality*, or, more
realistically, negligible senescence, perhaps with rejuvenation. This is
not likely any day soon, and maybe the US Social Security system will have
to adjust its terms of operation drastically before negligible senescence
starts to kick in (if it ever does).

Damien Broderick