[extropy-chat] Transhumanist villain in popular media

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 13 20:47:13 UTC 2004

Spoilers for the movie "The Incredibles", in case you
haven't seen it but were planning to...

The movie's main villain, Syndrome, is motivated by
revenge over being rejected by superheroes when he was
a kid.  However, his ultimate plan for revenge is
interesting: rather than merely killing them all, he
ultimately plans to sell his inventions that have
given him superpowers - "Because, when everyone is
super, no one will be."  (His particular path towards
that end is what makes him a villain, for instance by
killing a bunch of superheroes to prove that his
robots are superhero-proof.  He also commits what
could be considered a cliche error by creating an AI
with unbound capability for learning and
self-improvement then putting an artificial constraint
on it, but forgetting to check that the AI can't find
a way to defeat that constraint - in this case, by
zapping the remote control that was to override the
AI's control of its body.)

There are probably other examples around, but here is
a rather clear and direct example in recently (and
perhaps temporarily) popular media.  I wonder if we
could, at least while this movie remains popular,
explain our goals as being like Syndrome's, only
without the evil.  (And possibly without the "growing
old" bit: Syndrome plans to sell his inventions once
he's too old to strut his stuff, although we could
translate that as "after we grow bored" or "after
those who volunteer - including us - test it on
themselves and prove it safe".)