[extropy-chat] category 6

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 15 05:52:48 UTC 2004

Please, can someone explain why this trial of that
rich guy who slew his very pregnant wife in Taxifornia
is getting so much press?  What new legal ground is
being broken here that makes this case worth all the
ink that is being spilled on it?  Is it just that the
OJ Simpson trial sold so many papers that the news
people needed something like that again?  In any
nation this size, surely spouses slay each other
on about a weekly or monthly basis.  What is the
deal on this one case?  Why the breathless interest?

Secondly, we know that there are arbitrarily many
formulaic global warming disaster movies coming out
on a regular basis.  There is one playing in the
background right now: Category 6, Day of Destruction.
Lots of wind, stuff getting wrecked.  My questions are:
how did the formula come to include a rebellious
teenager and a father trying to cope?  Why are
all bosses on those movies total jerks?  Most bosses
I know are decent types.  Is there any limit to
how fast they can depict global climate change in
order to create drama?  We saw a decade, then a year,
now a week.  Can they depict climate change in a day?
How about a minute?  Can we have global warming occur
in a few seconds?  What is the actual limit, as we
allow silliness to approach infinity?