[extropy-chat] category 6

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Mon Nov 15 06:14:10 UTC 2004

From: "Spike" <spike66 at comcast.net>
> Please, can someone explain why this trial of that
> rich guy who slew his very pregnant wife in Taxifornia
> is getting so much press?  What new legal ground is
> being broken here that makes this case worth all the
> ink that is being spilled on it?  Is it just that the
> OJ Simpson trial sold so many papers that the news
> people needed something like that again?  In any
> nation this size, surely spouses slay each other
> on about a weekly or monthly basis.  What is the
> deal on this one case?  Why the breathless interest?

I don't know (and have been trying to understand why).  I suspect it has
something to do with media ratings and people's appetite for such things.
Hasn't there *already* been a made-for-TV movie about this case, months
before the verdict?

Joan Ryan from the SF Chronicle had this to say (although the column didn't
add much to my understanding of this case).:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/11/14/BAGGI9RE3M1.DTL&type=printable

Olga