[extropy-chat] Seth, 4 forces and urk

Hara Ra harara at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 16 02:02:53 UTC 2004

Like I said, the theory may well say things that in real life cannot be
found without changing things totally. I spell that principle "urk"

OK, I will invent an acryonym: Un Reliable Knowledge. (or Utterly
Ridiculous Krap)

If the observable is the state vectors for each molecule, ahem.
If not, statistical mechanics is fine.

At 08:36 AM 11/15/2004, you wrote:
>From: "Hara Ra"
> > 3) Even if we ever determine the relation
> > between the initial BCs and final BCs,
> > there is still the problem of observability.
> > Note each cm^3 of air has 10^19 molecules in it,
> > and any way of finding out the details will change
> > them beyond recovery. Can you spell 'heisenberg'?
>
>Not sure I get your point. But even when HUP has
>a physical meaning (that is not always, see *)
>if we really need to know the 'true' state of
>a physical system (not just in the trivial case in
>which the physical system is already in an eigenstate)
>we can measure it. The 'weak measurement' technique
>exploits quantum uncertainty. In this case quantum
>detectors are so weakly linked to the experiment
>that any measurement moves the detector's pointer
>by less than the level of uncertainty. There is
>a price to pay for these delicate readings, they
>are inaccurate. But while this might appear to make
>the whole process pointless, when repeated many
>times, the average of these weak measurements
>approximates to the 'true' value of the observable
>to be measured. (But what is the 'urk' in the subject
>line?).
>
>s.
>
>* In general given a pair of non-commuting observables A and B,
>belonging to an Hilbert space H, the quantity delta A delta B
>can either vanish, or become arbitrarily close to zero, if at least
>one of the two observables (A or B) is bounded. Suppose B is the
>bounded observable and suppose A possesses a discrete eigenvalue.
>In this case the variance of the observable A becomes null
>in correspondence of the proper eigenvector associated to
>the discrete eigenvalue and the indeterminacy relation assumes
>the form 'delta A delta B = zero' since delta B is always finite
>for a bounded B. Not to mention here the 'delta E delta t' relation,
>in which 'delta t' is about 'our' clock time and 'delta E' is
>about 'its' energy!

=   Hara Ra (aka Gregory Yob)    =
=     harara at sbcglobal.net       =
=   Alcor North Cryomanagement   =