[extropy-chat] crap crap crap and noise

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Wed Nov 17 04:24:32 UTC 2004

Hara Ra writes:
> You can also filter out the posters. The one who blathers has a 99% blather
> rate on his posts, good for filtering.
> The other one has self identified himself as a LQP explicitly....

I have to take Damien's side on this one.  A mailing list is a commons,
and its quality needs to be protected, just like a community park.
It's not enough for individuals to filter out people they don't like.
Most people don't want to take the time to set up filters; they prefer
to see the same list that everyone else sees.  This exposes them to
everything, good and bad.

Bad posters often drive out good, in my experience.  An occasional
reminder to try to stay on topic and put some thought into postings
is helpful, and I appreciate it.

Hal