[extropy-chat] crap crap crap and noise

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Wed Nov 17 06:02:09 UTC 2004

On Nov 16, 2004, at 9:23 PM, Al Brooks wrote:
> As I wrote in the last message: if you & others want
> me to go, please say so and I'll tally up the number
> who want me to leave; again, I remain here primarily
> because Giulio asked me to stay on this list.

While this list may not have much in the way of official rules, it did
at one time have community standards.  All that is being asked is that
everyone who posts make some attempt to abide by those standards.

Let me sum them up for you:

1.) Make your posts substantive.  If you can make your point in one
line, it probably didn't need to be made.  Captains of the obvious are
not really necessary either.  Be prepared to explain your reasoning in
depth, preferably putting your in-depth reasoning in the post even.

2.) Make your posts rational.  Writing posts that assume the
supernatural, inconsistent mathematics, violations of thermodynamics,
or any other axioms that have obvious conflicts with reality better be
prefaced by some astoundingly good justification for those assumptions.
  Know all the basic Fallacies of Reasoning, and learn to instinctively
identify them in your thinking.  Discussing "what ifs" is fun, but it
is not terribly constructive if the "what ifs" are outside the scope of
plausible reality.  We have a signal-to-noise ratio to maintain here.

3.) Do not become emotionally attached to your argument; there is no
insult in being wrong.  If you have to use your personal feelings to
make a point, you've pretty much lost the argument.  Enough said.

The negative reaction you may be seeing results from the perception
that you are making no attempt to abide by the standards of the
community.  This community is tolerant and forgiving, but it may
require some genuine effort on your part to be a functional part of the
community.

j. andrew rogers