[extropy-chat] Warwick: Could future computer viruses infecth umans?

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Wed Nov 17 08:53:42 UTC 2004

--- Hara Ra <harara at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> This suggests, rather nastily, that each of us has a
> unique neural net, and
> detailed cross translation of experience is
> undoable. I can imagine growing
> up with a dynamic interface which converts
> Me.Neurosystem to Net.HolyHTTP
> and vice versa, but a true translation between
> Me.Neurosystem and
> You.Neurosystem is something I quaila at....

You might be right about this.  At least at first, I
suspect neural interfaces will be more like an extra
sense and set of muscles than the data pipeline that
is perceived.  The user will have to learn how to
interpret the signals - although hopefully this could
be done at a good rate since the user would get very
quick feedback.  Speed of data transmission would thus
depend on operator skill, much like speed of Morse
code in the days of the telegraph.

Once we gain a lot more knowledge on the generalities
of human neural nets, then we might possibly be able
to do something like the data highway.  We're partly
there already, by identifying which parts of the brain
do (generally) which tasks.  But there's a long way to
go there.