[extropy-chat] IWF Denounces Racist Depictions of Dr. Condoleezza Rice

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 21:38:54 UTC 2004

http://www.iwf.org/articles/article_print.asp?ArticleID=699

IWF Denounces Racist Depictions of Dr. Condoleezza Rice in Popular
Editorial Cartoons 11/17/2004

Contact: Louise Filkins
Phone: 202-419-1820

WASHINGTON, DC -- The Independent Women's Forum today denounced as
blatantly racist several editorial cartoons featuring Dr. Condoleezza
Rice, National Security Advisor and President Bush's nominee for
Secretary of State. These cartoons clearly draw upon centuries of
deep-rooted, wicked and indefensible portrayals of black women.

"The depiction of Dr. Condoleezza Rice by Jeff Danziger, Pat Oliphant
and Garry Trudeau as an ebonics speaking, big-lipped, black mammy who
just loves her 'massa' is a disturbing trend in editorial cartoons,"
said Michelle D. Bernard, senior vice president of the Independent
Women's Forum. "These cartoons take the racism of the liberals who
profess respect and adoration for black Americans to a new level. It is
revolting."

Danziger, Oliphant and Trudeau, whose editorial cartoons are very
popular in the United States, are also renowned all over the world.

"The most powerful woman in the United States is young, gifted and
black. Given our nation's history of race-based slavery, the ensuing
civil rights movement and our continual battle against race- and sex-
based discrimination, every citizen in our nation should take pride in
Dr. Rice's accomplishments," said Bernard. "She is a representation of
America's past and future all at once. One must ask where is the
outrage of the nation's civil rights leadership, feminist
organizations, and the so-called liberals who only seem to embrace
black America in election years?"

"Condoleezza Rice was the first woman ever appointed as National
Security Advisor. After Secretary of State Colin Powell, Dr. Rice will
be the second African American to hold both posts," said Bernard.
"These cartoons are decidedly unfunny."

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)