[extropy-chat] Atheists launch inquisition...

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Thu Nov 25 22:30:33 UTC 2004

--- Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Adrian Tymes
> >
> > There's SF, and then there's the SF Bay Area.  The
> > latter is far larger than the former, and happens
> > include the name of the more famous major city...
>
> You are right.  I think we should rename it
> the San Jose Bay Area.

That would require renaming the SF Bay.  Easier, and
possibly better, just to promote the name the region
already has - Silicon Valley - as adjacent to but
distinct from the SF Bay Area.

> > ... There's been major concern about how
> > professional things are getting...
>
> Ja, its a wonderful trend to professionalize games.
> We need to teach our children well, that money
> drives
> everything.  Make young capitalists out of them,
> instruct
> them at every opportunity the joys of crass
> materialism.

And not only that, but to teach them that physical
exertion with a minimum of intelligence is the optimal
way for most people to make a lot of money, as opposed
to uncool professions like engineering (even if far
more people who try to become engineers than try to
become pro athletes actually get decent pay).

> > ...to the exclusion of kids who just wanted to
> play...
>
> Play is for the retired elderly.  {8^D

Kids can play too.  ;P

> > - the original reason for
> > said programs - and how they often trump the
> academic
> > studies that the schools are supposed to
> establish...
>
> Ja I see your point.  Perhaps they should work out
> ways to make the sports merge with academic studies,
> such as by having students organize the concessions
> and such.

But the inexperienced students wouldn't rake in as
much profit as expensive promoters (who might not
actually rake in any profit, not that they'll let you
see their performance records, but they'll promise a
good kickback under the table - verbally, so it's
worth the paper it's written on, unless they hope to
get your future business).