[extropy-chat] Re: Intelligent Design and Irriducible Complexity

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sat Oct 2 01:09:51 UTC 2004

This question is deeply intertwingled with the issues of morality,
subjective experience or 'qualia', personal identity, free will, and
meaning of life that are discussed on this list.  Each of these appears
to present a paradox when considered beyond the context of conventional
human experience.

Each of these issues can be seen in completely rational terms if the
context is enlarged (approaching an objective viewpoint)  but then there
is a sense of loss as each appears to be devoid of meaning, in the terms
to which we are accustomed.

I had an experience many years ago that I describe as "going through the
void and coming out the other side".  No drugs were involved, but I had
been struggling painfully for years to make sense of these philosophical
issues and others.   Zen philosophy took me part of the way, with the
subjective component, and my scientific rationalist background took me
the rest of the way.  I realized that each of these issues appears
paradoxical only through the tunnel vision of our limited subjective
experience, and necessarily so.  We can rationally conceive of the
larger view, and we see that everything works just as before, but we
recoil from the perception that it is utterly mechanical.  "Going into
the void" means letting go of the illusion of an independent Self,
defined by transparent beliefs and values.  Coming out the other side
means making the journey, looking back, and seeing that all is as it
was, but with a new perspective that provides clarity on these issues.

Like particle/wave duality, there is a subjective/objective duality of
human understanding that underpins each of these apparent paradoxes.

What is the meaning of life?  In the ultimate, objective sense there is
none.  But when people ask this question, there's an implicit request
for a value statement, inherently subjective.  Therefore the practical
question becomes "I exist. What can I do to maximize the value of my
life experience?"  And given that understanding, the quest is
(subjectively) fully self-directed.

Do I have free will?  In the ultimate, objective sense, everything is
determined (good thing, too.)  From the subjective point of view, the
only point of view that matters to the subjective Self, one has complete
free will.

What is the nature of 'qualia' that makes my subjective experience seem
so unique?  From the ultimate objective point of view, the experience is
just the result of the mechanical functioning of the brain.  Anything
that can ask itself the question "How do I feel?" will report the answer
as an experience.  From the subjective point of view, with no other way
to experience except via the mechanism be queried, the experience is the
total reality.

Can there be an objective morality?  From the ultimate, objective point
of view, there is none.  The ultimate law is what works, survives and
grows.  But from the subjective point of view, which is the only point
of view that has value (meaning) to us, our evolutionary and social
matrix clearly defines what is Right for us at this moment.  As we make
choices, those that work will tend to proliferate, and no matter what
our starting point, our 'moral' choices will approach, but never reach,
an objective basis.

In the bigger picture, it all fits -- there is no place for paradox in
the universe.  But in the perceiving it's all a matter of context.

Why does all this matter?  We are close to a technological and
cooperative cusp that may carry us into a new phase of human existence.
Within the intersubjective 'reality' that we humans share, accurate
perception leads to actions that work, and are therefore 'good'.
Clinging with blind unawareness to all aspects of our evolved nature
will result in actions that don't work, and the pain of bumping into the
hard edges of reality.  The (subjective) choice is ours.

- Jef
http://www.jefallbright.net